How can I find out whether there is a public sewer on my property?


Generally the deeds to your house will contain the information and/or your solicitor may have advised you at the time of purchase.

If this information is not available or is unknown you should be aware that since 1 October 2011, any drains serving more than one property are the responsibility of Thames Water Utilities Limited. Any proposals to build over or within close proximity to these sewers require consent from the water authority.

View more information on the Building and Developing area on the Thames Water website


This advice relates solely to Building Control Opens in a new window matters and you should consult the planning pages of the website or the planning portal Opens in a new window website for advice on planning matters.