Do I need approval for internal alterations?


  • To a dwelling

Yes, if the alterations are structural (removal or part removal of load bearing wall or chimney breast) or alterations to the drainage system or alterations which affect means of escape in case in fire.

  • To a shop, office or other workplace

Yes. The local authority will also consult with the fire authority.

This advice relates solely to Building Control Opens in a new window matters and you should consult the planning pages of the website or the planning portal Opens in a new window website for advice on planning matters.